SMA offers a means by which you can turn that unused telescope or set of binoculars into a charitable donation and support our mission to share astronomy with the public!
Despite the best of intentions, sometimes a budding interest in astronomy fails to blossom into a full-fledged passion and folks find themselves with equipment they are no longer using. Or sometimes a loved one who had such a passion passes away and his family or estate has no idea with what to do his or her collection of astronomical equipment. SMA can help. We have been the recipient of many donated telescopes, eyepieces, binoculars, astronomical cameras and the like. We have provided a way for a donor or a surviving family to make a meaningful contribution to our mission and thereby do good in the face of a challenging situation.
To accept such a donation SMA asks that the donation meets the following criteria:
- The equipment be in working order without any obvious signs of damage;
- That any accessories (tripods, carrying cases, filters, eyepieces, power cords, etc.) or miscellaneous parts be included; and
- That any operating manuals (that can be found) be included.
Upon receipt of any donated equipment, SMA will acknowledge receipt by way of an itemized list of what was donated. Because SMA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization donations to us are tax-deductible. While we cannot offer tax advice or necessarily value or appraise your donation for tax purposes, we can provide our best estimate of what we think the market value is of the donated equipment.
Upon acquisition of the equipment, SMA may use it any of the following ways:
- Incorporate it into SMA’s equipment inventory for use at club events;
- Include the equipment in the Club’s Equipment Lending Program;
- Donate the equipment to a deserving school or student; or
- Sell the equipment with the proceeds used to support the Club’s mission.
If you have an interest in making a donation, please contact Ara Jerahian, Chair of our Equipment Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or Bob Dodge, Club Treasurer at email@example.com or reach out to any of the Club’s Officers or Directors.
Thank you very much for considering SMA for your prospective donation.